Did you know that you can use Windows Registry Editor to check if a USB device was connected or not to your computer!by ‘USB Device’ i mean any device that can be connected via USB port of your computer.In some cases it can be a very serious matter.for example your friend’s external hard drive is caught by the police and it contained child pornography.it is very crucial to prove that it is not yours.
one of the way for checking is to use ‘Registry Editor’ in Windows Operating System.Everytime when a device is connected to USB port of your computer.windows stores its serial number and device information in its registry.and you can find them later 🙂
Here’s how to find the device information.
Press window key + R (open Run..)
Type ‘regedit’ (without quotes) and press enter.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Enum\USBSTOR
Note:controlSet00x ,where x can be any number depending you
Here’s the list of all the USB devices such as Pendrives,External Hard drives etc ,connected to your computer.
Note:controlSet00x,where x means a number.
Click any Device ,they all have a unique device id assigned by manufacturer.and thus you can identify if a particular USB Device was attached to your pc or not!
Here’s what information your computer collected about a USB Device!
So,Next time if you get your pendrive stolen! checking your friends’ registry might be a good idea :p
- NO! That Windows Update Will Not Save You From WannaCry! - May 22, 2017
- [Incident Response]: How To Stay Protected From A Ransomware Attack like Wannacry? - May 14, 2017
- How to Identify a Phishing Email, Website and Where To Report? - March 5, 2017
- Things To Know While Playing ‘Online Games’ - January 2, 2017
- This WhatsApp Hack Will Empower You To Take over ‘Any’ WhatsApp Group - November 13, 2016